Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Arabic Experience

Day 1: Dubai's old town
It was a foggy morning and the pilot had to fly the plane around the runway for an hour, so I arrived Ibis City centre Hotel one hour behind schedule.
Just 10 minutes fro the IBIS Hotel by taxi located the world's biggest gold and spice market. Here I crossed the Dubai Creek to the other side of the river by the ferry called 'Abra' with only 1 dirham to see Dubai's old town and the arts and crafts.

Day 2: First day at conference
On another foggy morning, the taxi had to take longer than usual to get to the conference venue 'Zayed University' which is located around 30 kms, South of the city. The venue was impressive. The whole hallway was covered in an air-conditioned dome. There were quite a few big names such as Jeremy Harmer, Michael McCarthy, and David Nunan. Some presentations that interest me the most are those on teaching vocabulary and the idea called 'Vocab Viva', the debate on teaching ESP v. EGP, issues on treating teacher's 'burnouts' and reading aloud technique, the use of internet in ELT, and the updated features of British Council website. I was there till late afternoon, and then came back for shopping at the City Centre Shopping Mall just opposite to the IBIS hotel where I stayed.

Day 3: Desert experience
After the conference on the second day, I joined a half-day tour for a desert safari. Aftering paying 150 dirhams and waiting a few hours, I was picked up by a mini-bus to join the ride with other 30 tourists from the Philippines, Iran, and Africa. The bus dropped us in the middle of no where. That was the first time in desert.
They took us on a bumpy ride in the sand dune by SUVs 'Toyota Prado'. The caravan then headed to an Arabian camp where people took turns riding camels, tried traditional henna body-painting, watched a belly-dancing show, and had Arabian BBQ dinner together. It was nearly 10 the time we got back and I slept well and sound after that long tiring day.

Day 4: Dubai's wonders
Taxi drivers are my only tour guides I could afford. Again, today I told my taxi driver to get me around in the famous 'Palm Island', 'Mall of the Emirates', and the world's best hotel 'Burj Al-Arab'. Next to the hotel located a water park called 'Wild Wadi', the place where I spent my whole afternoon.

Day 5: Burj Kalifa
Today is the last day of my trip. It's time to think about what I have learned from this trip for that I can tell my students what I have experienced here. I didn't forget to see the world's tallest buiding 'Burj Dubai' which is now renamed 'Burj Kalifa' after the UAE's president. The building stood tall behind the artificial river which is actually a swimming pool with its width from side to side of the Chao Phraya River. Next to the artificial river and the World's tallest building is the World's biggest shopping mall 'Dubai Mall'. Now I am waiting for the flight time to get back to Bangkok tonight.

No comments: